Are Multifocal Contact Lenses Right for You?
Traditional contact lenses provide sight improvements for either near or distance vision. Multifocal lenses, however, can provide a comprehensive vision solution for any type of activity, whether its reading, computer work, or driving.
1. What are Multifocal Contact Lenses?
Multifocal contact lenses consist of lenses of various powers, which provides the wearer with the ideal vision for a range of distances. Multifocal contacts are comprehensive lenses that can provide great benefit to those who suffer from blurry vision associated with aging eyes, also known as presbyopia.
Multifocal contact lenses contain multiple prescriptions and allow for a gradual vision transition when engaging in various tasks. They are much smoother than bifocals, which contain a split lens and a much sharper transition.
2. Different Types of Multifocal Contacts
Multifocal contact lenses come in two styles. A soft lens, and a rigid gas permeable lens.
Soft lenses sit comfortably on the curve of the eye and are ideal for short daytime use. They are available as disposable contacts which eliminate the need for lens care.
Rigid gas permeable lenses are ideal for constant daily use and are even suitable for overnight wear. Rigid lenses typically provide a more superior vision enhancement when compared to soft lenses, but as they are structured, they can take some time to get used to.
The concentric design is the most typical multifocal lens style. This consists of concentric circles, each providing a different lens prescription for different distance use. The aspheric design, on the other hand, consists of a blended lens which provides multiple prescriptions close to the center of the lens and natural eye line.
3. Are Multifocal Contact Lenses Right for You?
It is important that you have a comprehensive consultation with your doctor to determine whether multifocal lenses are suitable for your lifestyle. An in-depth evaluation of your daily life will allow your doctor to recommend the lens that they feel will provide the most benefit to you.
4. The Pros and Cons of Multifocal Contact Lenses
- A comprehensive lens that provides vision enhancement for varying distances.
- Smooth transition between prescriptions.
- No need to carry or purchase additional eyewear.
- If you are used to traditional lenses or glasses, it can take some time to adjust to using multifocal lenses.
- You may notice some glare during the adjustment period.
- As these lenses contain multiple prescriptions and require multiple eye tests and fittings, the overall cost can be significantly higher than regular contact lenses.
Many individuals are benefiting from the ease of multifocal contact lenses. Multifocal lenses are considered superior to regular contact lenses as they provide the wearer with an efficient vision experience for all uses and distances. The saying ‘you get what you pay for’ couldn’t ring truer in this instance, and you will find that the convenience and superiority of the lens are accurately reflected in the price.
Eyelux Optometry is an optometrist that specializes in eye health and corrective vision solutions. We offer a range of vision tests, including the contact lens exam, and offer innovative eye care treatments. Contact us to book in a consultation, and to discover more about whether multifocal contact lenses are suitable for you.