What Are the Healthy Foods for Healthy Eyes?
When thinking about keeping our vision in check and our eyes in optimum health, we do not always think about food. In fact, we probably never consciously choose what we eat to keep a sharp eyesight, or prevent eye problems. Yet, there are foods for healthy eyes, due to the nutrients they contain.
These Foods for Healthy Eyes Are
- Omega 3 fatty acids (salmon, tuna, sardines and seaweed)
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin (leafy greens, eggs, zucchini and spinach)
- Vitamin A (eggs, sweet potatoes, carrots, tropical fruits)
- Vitamin E, Zinc and Niacin (whole grains and nuts)
- Vitamin C (citrus fruits and berries)
- Carotenoids (colorful fruits and vegetables)
- Bioflavonoids (beans, bell peppers, strawberries and citrus fruits)
- Zinc (lean beef, garlic, chickpeas and seeds from pumpkin and sesame)
- Astaxanthin (red fish and seafoods such as salmon and shrimps)
- Anthocyanin (berries such as blueberries, grapes and blackberries, but also eggplant)
They Will Protect You Against
- Dry eyes (your eyes are not lubricated due to lack of good quality tears)
- Macular degeneration (eye disease leading to vision loss)
- Cataract (our natural eye lenses meant to refract the rays of light become cloudy)
- Night blindness or nyctalopia (disorder of the retina that doesn’t allow you to see well in dim light)
- Glaucoma (damage to the optic nerve due to fluid pressure in the eye and leading to vision loss)
- Cystoid macular edema (swelling and fluid-filled cysts develop in the retina)
- Eye inflammations (retinitis)
In a nutshell (and nuts are packed with goodness), foods that have a low glycemic index help reduce the risks of age related macular degeneration. Add color to your plate, and fruits and vegetables full of Vitamin A and C.
We do not link our eye health to our nutrition, but everything we ingest will help either improve or contribute to deteriorate our health. The same goes for our eyes. Nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins and minerals are not only foods for healthy eyes, but also for a healthy body. Eating better everyday and having a yearly eye exam will help you to prevent vision problems.
EyeLux Optometry. Quality services. For your eyes only.
Schedule an Appointment